[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed May 4 12:12:05 PDT 2005

I gotta overpost to say , here I think you hit the real , fundamental human "dialectic" or the motherlode paradox.

Humans' main uniqueness is that we are more social ( transgenerationally social because of language , culture, ancestor "worship") than other species ( including bees and ants). But is human sociality biologically caused , instinctive somehow ?!

Next we talk about language/symbolling/culture.

Charles

^^^^^^

Chris Doss

Come to think of it, sociality itself is probably generally biologically predetermined. There may be occasional hermits or sociopaths, but we're not cats.

(Which brings me to a tangential sci-fi-type thought -- think of all the things underlying human beings' ability to be "civilized" "technological" beings beyond just raw intelligence. If we were asocial animals, we would never have gotten anywhere. Or no opposable thumbs. Or no speech. Or a lifespan too short to acquire meaningful experience. Or even aquatic like dolphins -- no fire. This whole technological civilization thing seems like more and more of a fluke cosmically speaking. The hypothetical Gasbags of Jupiter could never have gotten anywhere. No non-land-based entity could.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi