[lbo-talk] Chip Berlet in the news

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 20:42:29 PDT 2005

>From: Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com>
>
>On 5/4/05, Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
>
> > Religion sucks! Take your "WWJD" sticker and shove it up your ass!
> >
> > Chuck0
>
> Heh, aargh, Chuck. Awfully effective outreach strategy.
> How many churches did the anarchists burn down in Spain, driving
>many peasants and workers into the Francoist bloc?
> In the late 70's at the mass march in San Salvador for Archbishop
>Romero's funeral, the Salvadorean Army fired into the crowd. Where did
>many run to sanctuary? To the cathedral, the one I assume he was
>assainated in. Saw this in a film, very sympathetic (well more than
>sympatico, other scenes were of clandestine mass meetings of FDR-FMLN
>leaders), funded by the World Coumcil of Churches, in a class taught
>by rad left Jesuit Blase Bonpane.
> Churches were a backbone of anti-Contra aid/solidarity work in the
>80's and the Sanctuary movement was overwhelmingly drawn from the
>historically pacifist/leftish denominations. You know this.
> Cry of the People:The struggle for human rights in Latin America and
>the Catholic Church in conflict with US policy: United States
>Involvement in the Rise of Fascism, Torture and Murder, and the
>Persecution of the Catholic Church in Latin America.
>by Penny Lernoux.

[Lotsa luck, Michael, with your outreach to the new pope. Chuck is right. Relgion sucks.]

Liberation Theology

By Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

... An analysis of the phenomenon of liberation theology reveals that it constitutes a fundamental threat to the faith of the Church. At the same time it must be borne in mind that no error could persist unless it contained a grain of truth. Indeed, an error is all the more dangerous, the greater that grain of truth is, for then the temptation it exerts is all the greater. ...

<http://www.christendom-awake.org/pages/ratzinger/liberationtheol.htm>

Carl