[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 4 21:43:23 PDT 2005

Dear List:

John writes:

> . It's just another commodity in my opion also.

So is the book of philosophy I purchased on my way home tonight. What difference does it make that it is commodity? I wonder if behind this notion that it is only a commodity, is the belief that it is a commodity society would be better off without?

Leigh writes:

> How much do you pay for your ... "toys"?

As little as possible, but I always end up spending more since I usually get mine individually crafted. They last longer and are more, shall we say, effective.

How much do you pay for yours -- like books, your computer, your car, your tv, etc.

> "There's nothing "alt" about renting a flat
for a weekend or a month and doing a shoot. That's the "industry" Baby!

Not among the people I know. Some of the best porn today is being done by amateurs in an non-industry way.

> I just see some of the destructive and
self-destructive tendencies of the "terms and conditions", so to speak, of parts of these lifestyles... and I don't want that issue to go unchallenged.

And these self-destructive tendencies are (specifically)? Also, are these terms and conditions limited to the production of porn?

> I'm sex industry bashing.

Why not just industry bash?

> What makes *IT* socially and culturally more
useful and humanistic than the military industrial

complex is for some *other* interest group?

How many Iraquis have been killed by dildoes?

> What people do in privacy is their business, and
what gets "marketed" is society's business.

Agreed. And we need a great deal more marketing of positive sexualities -- including erotica, porn, toys, workshops and sexual retreats.

> The merits and disadvantages need to be discussed
in context of a broad range of issues beyond simple personal liberty, and take into account the possibility of the illusion of "happiness" being mistaken for the real thing... to the detriment of others.

And what is illusionary about the plesure of sex? (Is this a new kink I didn't get the memo on?)

But in my humble opinion, the kind of person interested in personal happiness uber-alles probably doesn't care very much about what's detrimental to anyone besides their own circle of acquaintance.

And someone who is pro-porn is, therefore, interested in "persoanl happiness uber-alles"? How do you make that leap?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister