[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Etienne tim_boetie at fastmail.fm
Thu May 5 08:26:42 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 07:54 -0700, Leigh Meyers wrote:
> > Leigh writes:
>
> >> How much do you pay for your ... "toys"?
>
> > As little as possible, but I always end up
> > spending more since I usually get mine
> > individually crafted. They last longer and are
> > more, shall we say, effective.
> >
> > How much do you pay for yours -- like books,
> > your computer, your car, your tv, etc.

[snip]

> I'm acutely aware of the foibles of the computer industry
> but there's no way around the issue(yet), however, we
> *can* control our sex drives in relation to causing damage
> to society... "keeping it in our pants" is do-able, at least
> once we get beyond.... 19 years old?

Do you advocate not eating until food isn't commodified, too? I don't see how it can be a sensible objection to something simply that it is made into a commodity by capitalism -- that's the whole _point_ of capitalism, after all.

Is the objection that sex is something which it is especially bad to commodify? If so, why?

I can well imagine that sex workers in general face worse work conditions than most other people. But is that because they work in the _sex_ industry, or in an industry that is often criminalised and which employs many poor women?

--

"The bourgeois want art voluptuous and life

ascetic; the reverse would be better"

-- Adorno Tim http://huh.34sp.com/