[lbo-talk] Chip Berlet in the news

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 10:34:42 PDT 2005

>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>
>
>On Thu, 5 May 2005, Chip Berlet wrote:
>
>>Then I had a dialog with one student who had indicated he held those
>>beliefs. I got him to admit that he thought--given my politics and
>>ideas--that I was in service to the devil. I said I understood that he
>>might believe that, and he had a right to believe that, but what if he was
>>wrong?
>
>I think at least theoretically, this is the key bridge bridge between
>science and religion. They both hold it to be one of their highest
>principles that we can be never be certain.

Yes, but once you move off the high plain of theory and principle and descend into the valley of reality, that isn't the case at all. Both religion and science are characterized by great pantloads of dogmatism. Adherents in both areas get too much emotional and/or career capital invested in particular beliefs to keep truly open minds.

Carl