[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 5 11:37:22 PDT 2005

Michael Dawson wrote:

>1. From what I know, I would wager heavily that the big majority of people
>now doing "sex work" do it for reasons other than free choice.

How do you know?

> Take away
>drug addictions and poverty, and create an economic system that guarantees
>health insurance and regular, non-sex jobs at livable wages, and how many
>folks will choose sex work?

That would be an interesting experiment, and highly meritorious in itself, but 1) we're nowhere near that spot, and 2) I bet people would still want to buy sex.

>2. Are we willing to jettison our philosophical talk about alienation?
>Isn't there something objectionable about purchasing sex, at least in a
>substantial proportion of the cases? Who do you know who's a well person
>who wants to go buy a hooker?

You've got to be kidding. Who's well, really? And how many millions of people visit hookers, strip clubs, dominatrices, etc.? By this def, sickness is nearly universal, at least among men.

Doug