[lbo-talk] If Blair wins, what conclusions should be reached?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu May 5 20:54:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Now Mr. Blair faces an election. A lot of blood stained water has flowed
> under the bridge since he co-signed War Plan Iraq. If he wins an
> *unprecedented third term* what lessons should we draw

That's not really the relevant measure, IMHO. You have to put these things in context.

Without going into the gory details of why, the relevant measure under the current British set-up is not whether Labor wins, but whether it loses a sizeable amount of its majority. If it does, it will be universally interpreted in Britain as a damning verdict on the war and the lying about it. And it wouldn't be surprising if the consequence was that Blair was dumped by his party in a few months and replaced by Gordon Brown. All that is well within the realm of possibility. Parliamentary politics is a whole nother game with whole different options.

On the other hand, if Labor maintains their majority (which could happen, because the Tories are so bad, and the Lib Dems so screwed by first past the post) then you can rend your clothes and gnash your teeth :o)

Michael