[lbo-talk] If Blair wins, what conclusions should be reached?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 5 16:10:15 PDT 2005

Dwayne:
> Now Mr. Blair faces an election. A lot of blood stained water has flowed
under
> the bridge since he co-signed War Plan Iraq. If he wins an *unprecedented
third
> term* what lessons should we draw about people's tolerance of BS (or
estrangement
> from a cause and effect understanding of reality) in not one, but two of
the
> major Western democracies?

As I understand it, there is not that much choice. The Tories are in shambles, and that is a good thing. I understand that Mr. Blair received a lot of criticism for his role in the war, and that he his going to win not because of his strength but because of the weakness of his opponents. That is to say, Brits will hold their noses and vote for him, because alternatives stink even more.

That, imho, is a sign of political maturity as opposed to the I-will-either-have-it-my-way-or-stomp-my-feet-and-be-a-spoiler nonsense practiced by some US lefties.

Wojtek