[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri May 6 13:11:51 PDT 2005

> Michael Dawson wrote:
>
> >making liberation for "sex workers" a big topic is politically
> suicidal. 5% of the population would react positively.

Dennis Claxton:

> Angela Davis argues for abolition of prisons. How many would react
> positively to that? Does that mean it's something we shouldn't support?
>
> And how do you know what the response would be anyway?

I don't know. I'm speculating. What's your guess?

Meanwhile, can you distinguish between a long-term and a short-term goal? I'm not against legalizing whoring, and I'm against the idea of jails, if we can ever get to a state of society where they prove to be unneeded. But to talk about these two things as near-term political platform planks is suicidal. In the case of just closing down jails with no other social changes, it's also damned stupid and even murderous.