[lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat May 7 10:48:10 PDT 2005

When I'm out doing my posterchild "thing" about the Iraqi invasion occasionally someone will come up to me and say "You should get that blown up... made bigger".

My stock response is that I'm not trying to slap anyone in the face with the information... it alienates the individual. I'm looking for the curious... someone who's interested enough to walk up to a total stranger doing something some people would consider... slightly weird.

Whether they agree with me or not is irrelevant. I'm looking for dialogue. The smoke that starts a fire (in their way of thinking about the issue).

If the organizations and beliefs that the "dis-agreeer" normally ascribe to come under attack from outside sources, the wagons get circled psychologically, and the curiosity is replaced by dogmatic reactionary behavior at the individual and interpersonal level.

Calling "them" a bunch of snake-handling loons is counterproductive.

Wait 5 minute... get to know the person with whom you are speaking, and *then* you tell them. =8> Say it with a smile! And be prepared to explain why you think it to be so. Works... 25% of the time.

It's a lesson from "Movement Marketing 101". Don't alienate a potential "customer".

Leigh