[lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 7 09:38:26 PDT 2005

During the Civil War the practice of the Red Army in China was to release all prisoners of war. (Occasionally they recruited but usually just released.) It was terribly demoralizing to the Nationalist armies.

The principle of organizing is to reach "All who can be united" NOW, which becomes the basis for a process of Unity-Struggle-Unity.

That process (when conditions are right) leads to a raising of the level of unity both quantitatively AND qualitatively.

We reach out NOW only for those who can be reached NOW on the basis of current agreement. We do not label or sneer at those who can't be reached NOW, for that is merely stupid self-expression, not organizing.

Those who are apathetic or hostile TODAY will, under the right conditions -- REPEAT: Under the Right (Future) Conditions) -- become tomorrow's friends. We must work simultaneously in the present and in the future.

Carrol