[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun May 8 07:27:49 PDT 2005

On 08/05/2005 3:41 AM, joanna wrote:

> The way I read it, the prostituting of mind, body, soul, heart,
> whatever....whether in a brothel, factory, board room, etc., is not
> value neutral. Whether workers or sex workers are unionized or not,
> prostitution and exploitation is still taking place.

if i understand you correctly (and there is a good chance i am not), you are saying exactly the same concerns apply to prostitution as other wage slavery. is this correct? if it is, what is the way out? revolutionary re-ordering of the [power] structure? would that work for prostitution also? or, are you saying that prostitution, by its very nature, is exploitative (and requires something similar to the current structures, in order to exist), and any re-ordering of structure would wipe out the supply side, since no "empowered" (yes, i know you hate that word ;-)) human is going to voluntarily take up prostitution?

my apologies in advance, since these elementary issues were probably addressed earlier in the debate, which i admit i was lax in following!

--ravi