[lbo-talk] Re: NY Times Seeks To Boost Credibility

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 9 04:18:30 PDT 2005

Carl forwarded:

> In order to build readers' confidence, an internal committee at The New York
> Times has recommended taking a variety of steps, including ... "increase our
> coverage of religion in America" ....

Oh lordy ... we're having a little bit of this over here too. It was noted around the previous Pope's death that interviewers who had five minutes ago been jumping straight down yer throat if you had a slight discrepancy in your figures for health service investment or local income tax, were listening to horrendous drivel like "Polish superstition holds that the Pope will be particularly blessed because he passed away in the Octad of Easter" and just nodding and saying "Hmmm good point".

(I also think that the BBC markedly failed in its commitment to provide balanced public service broadcasting on this one. After showing six hours of people saying that John Paul II was a holy man who had gone straight to heaven, I would have thought the least they could do would be to give Dr Ian Paisley five minutes for a right of reply).

http://www.ianpaisley.org/antichrist.asp

best,

dd

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - want a free and easy way to contact your friends online? http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com