[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 9 03:28:09 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:
>--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
>snatched from the street by their husbands in a custom known as "ala
>kachuu," which translates roughly as "grab and run." In its most
>benign form, it is a kind of elopement, in which a man whisks away a
>willing girlfriend. But often it is something more violent.
>---
>
>Interesting how this stuff resurfaced after 70 years of
>Sovietization. Or maybe it existed then too, and got covered up. It
>happens a lot in Chechnya.
>
>I couldn't access the article. Does the it say if this is more
>prevalent in the Kyrgyz or Uzbek areas of Kyrgyzstan?

What the article says is that "[i]t is practiced in varying degrees across Central Asia but is most prevalent here in Kyrgyzstan, a poor, mountainous land that for decades was a backwater of the Soviet Union and has recently undergone political turmoil in which mass protests forced the president to resign" (Craig S. Smith, "Abduction, Often Violent, a Kyrgyz Wedding Rite," The New York Times <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/30/international/asia/30brides.html>30 Apr. 2005).

My hypothesis is that the Soviet government never succeeded in making political tensions between it and Central Asian republics go away, so it probably went easy on gender relations and the like in exchange for peace. It's like the relation between the Yugoslav government and Kosovo. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>