[lbo-talk] Abu Ghraib inspires artist Fernando Botero

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon May 9 08:57:32 PDT 2005

Isn't one of the primary purposes of this list is to work out our ideas in collaboration, in order to make ourselves and the left smarter, better, stronger? Even allowing for me going over the top, I don't quite understand why people think argument and even heated argument in this forum are somehow hostile. I would probably take a bullet for every member of this group, out in the real world. But here, we're not trying to talk about the weather and how much we like this or that. We're trying to feel our way toward progress. That means arguing.

As to me attacking the whole left: Not true. Ward Churchill is a fraud and a liar, in my opinion. Beyond that, all I was trying to say about Botero is that he sounded like he'd just discovered war crimes. I realize he was probably quoted by a journalist who ignored the balance of what he said, but Abu Ghraib should not be surprising to anybody who's followed the war machine.

If you don't think I attack the right, take a look at this: www.press.uillinois.edu/s05/dawson.html.

_____

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Cseniornyc at aol.com Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:44 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Abu Ghraib inspires artist Fernando Botero

And where was "Senor" Botero during Stalingrad,Guernica,etc......

What kind of comment is this? Do you Senor Dawson expect him to be everywhere, every time genocide is committed?

I am usually, for reasons of time, just a lurker, but I have been observing with curiosity and indignation how Michael Dawson systematically attacks everyone in the left from Churchill, other members of the list and now Fernando Botero,so I couldn't resist this time. I don't remember him pursuing right wingers with the same zest. Amazing!

Fernando Botero is just trying to be a good artist: someone who comments on the big events of our times, who offers visions and new perspectives on them with a good command of visual technique. Why aren't American artists pursuing the themes of empire is a good question?

Cristobal Senior

NYC