[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 9 13:51:13 PDT 2005

Michael Dawson wrote:

>Empowering women means things like child stipends, increased school budgets,
>free universal pre-K/daycare, single-payer health insurance, SS credit for
>raising children, and campaigning for pay equity. Pretending that abortion
>politics somehow is a forerunner of these other things has simply been
>discredited by history. The point is to give women choices, resources, and
>respect, so that far fewer abortions are needed.
>
>Joanna sees this. Why don't you, Ms. Prole? (What does an RN in SF make
>these days? It ain't minimum wage.)

No need to be rude like this. Esp to nurses, who are among the more undervalued workers around.

There's no reason to tug our forelocks and be all tortured and apologetic about abortions. Unwanted pregnancies happen, and it's absolutely essential that women be allowed to end them. Daycare, health insurance, etc. are all somewhat relevant, but even in the best society, abortions will be necessary. It takes some courage to offer them in this country today, and the people who do should be thanked, not insulted.

Doug