[lbo-talk] Re: Marriage and Prostitution

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 9 21:55:13 PDT 2005

BklynMagus wrote:

>So the argument then becomes that women
>should have access to something that is not
>viewed as a good. With respect, that makes
>no sense.
>
>Either abortion is a good that women should
>have access to, or it is not a good and access
>should be denied.

Some things are not either or. Some things are not black and white. Some things are gray.

The decision of whether to bring a baby to term must be made by someone. The best possible someone to make that decision is the woman who has to bear the child. All other alternatives lead to greater evils. Therefore the woman must make that decision. In order to make that decision in any meaningful sense, she must have full choice about the possible alternatives, which would then also include abortion. I don't see how saying all that is the same as saying that abortion is a good thing. A necessary thing is not simultaneously a good thing.

Joanna