[lbo-talk] Putin government and the USSR

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 10:06:28 PDT 2005

--- Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at rogers.com> wrote: Nevertheless, pro-US and anti-Russian sentiment still animated the movements which produced the so-called "rose revolution" in Georgia and "orange revolution" in the Ukraine, and possibly the one which resulted in the recent overthrow of the Aliyev regime in Kyrgistan,

---

I don't think this is really true, as I have stated before. The main sentiment in the revos was against a corrupt government fixing an election. Yanukovich tried to turn the Ukrainian election into a West vs. Russia issue to exploit anti-Western feeling in Eastern Ukraine, but that was never Yushchenko's campaign platform. Georgia was already very pro-US. Both Ukraine and Georgia have been trying to join NATO and the EU since forever. And Georgia's foreign policy has not changed in any significant way since the rose revo.

What are people talking about -- "nostalgia for the USSR"? What does that mean? It was people's country for 70 years. Why wouldn't they be nostalgic? They grew up there.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html