[lbo-talk] To Die For

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 10 10:49:21 PDT 2005

Justin wrote:

>Women have traded sex for things of material value probably since
>the first cave man brought the first gave girl a deer haunch, hoping
>they'd screw.

Other things being equal, butch men and women who can fetch big fat abalones like these <http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/05/09/national/abalone.dig.184.1.jpg>, <http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/05/09/national/09abalone_slide1.jpg>, and <http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/05/09/national/09abalone_slide4.jpg> might get more consideration from their love interests than those who can't.

I mentioned that to my partner, showing the abalone pictures, but I was told that "the water looks cold."

Cf. "Abalone hunters are required by law to free-dive without an artificial breathing apparatus, holding their breath as they plunge into the current to jimmy a camouflaged shell off a rock. To protect the species, the state strictly limits the take. Divers are permitted only three abalone a day and only 24 a year, far more stringent than the limit of 100 four years ago" (Patricia Leigh Brown, "Risking Life, Waistline and Freedom for Abalone," <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/national/10abalone.html?>).

"It is a risky pursuit. Abalone-related drownings average two to five a year in Sonoma County alone, said Sgt. Eric Thompson, director of the county's helicopter rescue unit. On the last Sunday in April, his unit flew in to rescue a 48-year-old diver with chest pains at the foot of a 100-foot cliff. The typical victim, Sergeant Thompson said, is 50-something and overweight and runs into trouble because of overexertion, encountering "sneaker waves," or hyperventilating or panicking in thick kelp. . . . The most shocking death occurred last year, when Randall Fry, a sport-fishing advocate and an experienced diver, was attacked and killed by what was believed to be a great white shark near Fort Bragg, Calif" (Patricia Leigh Brown, "Risking Life, Waistline and Freedom for Abalone," <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/national/10abalone.html?>). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>