[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 10 12:04:44 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> In the
> hiearchy she described, RNs are proles. They do some of the most difficult,
> dirty, gut-wrenching, heart-wrenching, thankless work, and are there by
> your beside whenever you need them. they often know about your case--what's
> going on with you than a doc does. yet, docs will treat nursing staff as
> peons.

Yes. I've spent quite a bit of time in ERs in the last four years for one reason or another, and I'm awed by both the work load _and_ the real decency of hospital staff.* And in fact it is not only the non-MD staff but the MDs themselves (at least those in ERs) who should probably be identified as working class -- i.e. the bad behavior on their part you describe resembles that of 204bs & lower-level supervisors in the Post Office: they are scabbing on fellow workers. Of course the posts you are responding to here exhibit that same feature -- shitting on fellow proles!

Carrol

*When I had my second colonoscopy last summer (to locate the bleeding which turned out be be caused by the first one), a single RN had to take care of a whole ward of people shitting their brains out: and the patient across the hall from me was all by herself causing more trouble than any two whole wards ought to. Yet the RN somehow remained perfectly affable and helpful all night, without ever throwing a bedpan at someone.