[lbo-talk] politics shocker: Dems resist neutering (for now)

Steven Gotzler Steve at Gotzler.org
Tue May 10 17:04:34 PDT 2005

Militant Democrats. Sounds funny doesn't it? However, it's happening. I don't know if they will manage to gain much power. In NJ right now, the Dem party is being pulled left by these militant Dems., not happily. They are out, on the phones at the transit stops, in the papers. Having meetings, pic nics, and events.

Recently the Dems instituted a surcharge on those making (I forget the exact number) more than 200,000/year. That paid for an odd version of health care for the poor.

Right now, my favorite Jersey City politician is pushing for an end to the property tax as a way to fund school spending. Instead he is trying to raise taxes on the rich. In the last few months the Dems have told him to wait till after Corzine is elected governor in the Fall.

Now, this is far from revolutionary. However, the party activists are out there and rabid. I still can't get over it, rabid Democrats. If they manage to beat the Repubs. this year, who are being lead by Bush types, the local route will be on.

I long for the days of fighting the Liberals. But if they don't get back into power, I don't think we are going to get anywhere.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 7:01 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] politics shocker: Dems resist neutering (for now)