[lbo-talk] Putin VE Day speech...

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 08:40:43 PDT 2005

... in which he actually DOES call something the greatest tragdy of the 20th century.

I must admit I got kind of chocked up reading this.

Speech at a Formal Reception Dedicated to the 60th Anniversary of Victory

May 9, 2005 The State Kremlin Palace, Moscow Printer-Friendly Version

PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN: Dear veterans,

Ladies and gentlemen, heads of state and government,

Dear friends,

Today is a special day for all of us, without exaggeration. It is a sacred day for our peoples. It is one of the most memorable and important dates for their history.

On 9 May 1945, great justice was done. All of Europe believed in it and waited for it. The entire world hoped for it.

And now, when together we honour the anniversary of the Victory over fascism, we mark the Victory over a criminal regime.

Victory over a monstrous ideology that made it possible to enslave and exterminate entire peoples.

For us, it is clear that the Second World War was the most tragic event of last century. But at the same time, it was also the most heroic event of that era.

http://www.kremlin.ru/eng/speeches/2005/05/09/1506_type84779_87850.shtml

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail