[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 11:05:10 PDT 2005

>From: "Marvin Gandall" <marvgandall at rogers.com>
>
>... At the extreme are more than a few athiest leftists
>I've known who observe Christmas or Passover or Ramadan because "the
>rituals
>are comforting" or "express a positive morality" or so "the kids" shouldn't
>feel left out or excluded or cut off from their peers and their cultural
>roots. ...
>
>These folks - sympathetic to religion in theory, but secular in practice -
>don't represent any danger to us. They're our workmates and neighbours and
>frequently our friends. ...

Actually, they are me. I wouldn't claim to be an atheist -- which strikes me as just another absurd attempt to claim certain knowledge of unknowable things. But as ridiculous as I find Christian doctrine to be, I spend a lof of time and effort putting up a Christmas tree and outdoor lights each yuletide; I always find Easter eggs a source of delight; and I usually find church organ music (which I rarely hear anymore) beautiful. It's basically the pagan elements of Christianity -- the holiday lights that celebrate the return of lengthening days, the Easter eggs that mark the springtime rebirth of life -- that I find appealing.

Carl

Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)

-- Walt Whitman