[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu May 12 11:30:01 PDT 2005

On 05/12/05 14:05, Carl Remick wrote:

> Actually, they are me. I wouldn't claim to be an atheist -- which
> strikes me as just another absurd attempt to claim certain knowledge of
> unknowable things.

if there are things that are "unknowable", how can we even say they are there? atheism is not (at least to me) a claim to knowledge of the non-existence of a thing, but a parsimonious dismissal of an irresponsible question ("how many green mermaids lived in the year 1930?", "have you stopped beating your wife?", etc). i.e., it is agnosticism without stating the obvious.

--ravi