[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:32:00 PDT 2005

Habermas, from TNR, http://www.tnr.com/etc.mhtml?pid=2649 STRANGE BEDFELLOWS: Who knew that Pope Benedict XVI and Jürgen Habermas, Germany's leading public intellectual and a secular humanist to the core, would join forces? Sandro Magister has the story. (I should note that I can't vouch for Magister. If you're shocked or appalled by the article, you have my sincerest apologies. You're dealing with a garden variety secular humanist, and my ignorance on theological matters knows no bounds.) Between the likes of Ratzinger and Habermas, naturally, the distance remains intact. Habermas defines himself as, and is, "a methodical atheist." But to read his most recent essay translated in Italy, "A Time of Transition," published by Feltrinelli and available in bookstores since mid-November, Christianity, and nothing else, is the ultimate foundation of liberty, conscience, human rights, and democracy, the benchmarks of Western civilization:

"To this day, we have no other options. We continue to nourish ourselves from this source. Everything else is postmodern chatter."

Habermas says he is "enchanted by the seriousness and consistency" of the theology of St. Thomas Aquinas, the opposite of the feeble thinking that pervades current theology:

"Thomas represents a spiritual figure who was able to prove his authenticity with his own resources. That contemporary religious leadership lacks an equally solid terrain seems to me an incontrovertible truth. In the general leveling of society by the media everything seems to lose seriousness, even institutionalized Christianity. But theology would lose its identity if it sought to uncouple itself from the dogmatic nucleus of religion, and thus from the religious language in which the community's practices of prayer, confession, and faith are made concrete."

On relations with other civilizations, Habermas maintains that "recognizing our Judaeo-Christian roots more clearly not only does not impair intercultural understanding, it is what makes it possible."

He contests modern "unbridled subjectivity," which is destined to "clash against what is really absolute; that is, against the unconditional right of every creature to be respected in its bodiliness and recognized in its otherness, as 'an image of God'."

Carl Estabrook in Counterpunch on the new Pope, http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook05052005.html

-- Michael Pugliese