[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu May 12 19:21:45 PDT 2005

Chris Doss wrote:
> --- ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> if there are things that are "unknowable", how can we
> even say they are
> there?
>
> This is called solipsism when you work it out to its
> logical conclusion. Ravi's mind's not knowable to me.
> Neither is the far side of the universe. Instead I
> speculate on them and make plausible conjectures, e.g.
> Ravi seems like a really likeable guy.

i am afraid i disagree on pragmatic grounds. there is reason for you to believe that ravi exists (and a little lesser reason to believe he is a likeable guy ;-)). unlike in solipsism, i am not calling for concrete proof of existence (without which i choose instead to believe in nothing). rather, i am looking for mere plausibility. and growth in expalanatory power, in lieu of that.

--ravi