[lbo-talk] Pak Sufi singer enthrals fans in Delhi

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu May 12 16:03:36 PDT 2005

HindustanTimes.com

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Pak Sufi singer enthrals fans in Delhi

Asian News International

New Delhi, April 30, 2005

Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, the nephew of the legendary Sufi singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, gave a heart stopping performance in New Delhi on Thursday night that left discerning aficianados applauding all the way.

The enthralled audience applauded every note played by Khan and his group, especially Laagi tumse mann ki lagan from the movie Paap. Apart from his own music, he played Afreen Afreen and others sung by legendary Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

R S Bajoria, MD of FRIL, the show's organisers said these kind of events will improve cultural ties between the two countries. "It is going to help. This is the best way of friendship and he tries to develop it", said Bajoria.

"Our performance here and Indian artists going there, an exchange is happening. This will increase love and peace between the two countries", said Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

"When I come to India for a performance, I feel very happy and satisfied that the Indian audience can relate to my music. People understand the legacy of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan which I have carried forward," he added.

Sufi music is slowly making its place in today's hip hop music world. People who came to Rahat's show agreed that there has been a growing demand for the sufi music these days.

"Abida Parveen and all, there is a feel growing for that. There are people who are getting interested in this sort of music, our generation, older people. It is growing", said Abhimanyu, a spectator.

Rahat's formal training with his uncle began at age six, and at 15, he became an integral part of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's qawwali party which acquired fame throughout the world.

© HT Media Ltd. 2005.