[lbo-talk] USAF Team Jesus

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat May 14 07:09:25 PDT 2005

[More info]

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>>
>>... If/when there is again an upswelling of the u.s. left as in the '30s
>>or
>>the '60s, large numbers now in the various
>>evangelical/fundamentalist/etc sects will become responsive to left
>>agitation. ...
>
>[Great, I can't wait. Since you're an Air Force alum, maybe you'd like to
>start agitating at the Air Force Academy.]
>
>May 12, 2005
>
>Air Force Chaplain Tells of Academy Proselytizing

May 14, 2005

Separation of Church and Air Force

Whatever is ailing the Air Force Academy, and the academy has had its share of ailments over the years, campus pressure on cadets to adopt a particular set of religious beliefs will not cure it. Last year, academy officials promised to do something about widespread complaints of unconstitutional proselytizing of academy students by evangelists whose efforts were blessed by authority figures in the chain of command. An authorized investigation by the Yale Divinity School and local news reports documented numerous instances of pressure on cadets to adopt Christian beliefs and practices. Such pressure came from dozens of faculty members and chaplains, and even the football coach, with his "Team Jesus Christ" banner.

One chaplain instructed 600 cadets to warn their comrades who had not been born again that "the fires of hell" were waiting. Pressure to view "The Passion of the Christ" was reported, extending to "official" invitations at every cadet's seat in the dining hall. Nonevangelicals complained of bias in the granting of cadet privileges and of hazing by upper-class superiors, who made those who declined to attend chapel march in "heathen flights." ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/14/opinion/14sat2.html>

Carl

Off we go into the wild blue yonder, Climbing high into the sun; Here they come zooming to meet our thunder, At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!) Down we dive, spouting our flame from under, Off with one helluva roar! We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force! ...

-- The Air Force Hymn