[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 12 20:26:02 PDT 2005

Andy F wrote:

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>>>No. The young troublemakers of today do have an
>>>ideology and it is as deeply felt and
>>>intellectually totalizing as any of the great
>>>belief systems of yore. The cadres who populate
>>>those endless meetings, who bang the drum, who
>>>lead the "trainings" and paint the puppets, do
>>>indeed have a creed. They are Activismists.
>

> I was disappointed that you didn't take the extra step
> and label the ideology "activismism".

I was more receptive to this essay when Liza and Doug first published it. Now I think that they've underestimated the intellectual curiousity of contemporary activists. Activist meetings are not places to discuss theory, that's usually done at conferences, in study groups, and informally. From my experience, many of these activists are interested in intellectual ideas and theories. But I think they have a better understanding of how important it is to practice what you preach instead of talking about shit endlessly.

Chuck