[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 13 07:27:13 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>I was more receptive to this essay when Liza and Doug first
>published it. Now I think that they've underestimated the
>intellectual curiousity of contemporary activists. Activist meetings
>are not places to discuss theory, that's usually done at
>conferences, in study groups, and informally. From my experience,
>many of these activists are interested in intellectual ideas and
>theories. But I think they have a better understanding of how
>important it is to practice what you preach instead of talking about
>shit endlessly.

The last sentence is an example of exactly what we were talking about - this bogus opposition between action (good) and talk (bad). How do you know what to do if you don't have some theory of power and how to resist it? I'd say that the fact that you think you could make a dent in the war machine with a handful of anarchists utterly lacking in popular support trying to disrupt the supply chain suggests that a little more talking might be helpful.

Doug