[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri May 13 15:05:25 PDT 2005

Leigh Meyers wrote:

> Popular" is a word I've never, ever heard used by
> the American media to describe an anti-imperialist,
> or an anti-war movement in the US.
>
> The US Vietnam anti-war movement was never
> described as "Popular" ... EXCEPT in retrospect.

My goal as an anarchist and activist for most of the past 20 years is to popularize and normalize radical ideas and movements. I think we should want to be "popular" without compromising our radical politics. Of course, it's really hard to popularize radical ideas in a system that is hostile, but it's much easier to talk to people about radical ideas now than it was during the Cold War.

Chuck0