[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 13 23:54:20 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese (thinks ProjectCensored's analysis sucks.)

> And Project Censored...jeesh, look up Joel Bleifuss piece in In
> These Times a few yrs. ago critiquing that Project, which since Peter
> Phillips took it over from the founder, has repeatedly awarded medals
> to pieces from The American Free Press, that anti-semitic, far right
> piece 'o crap and way too much from the WWP/IAC mileau, (
> http://www.wpunj.edu/~newpol/issue33/walls33.htm , "Dubious Sources:
> How Project Censored Joined
> The Whitewash of Serb Atrocities.")

Yeah... When you get a bunch of students together to do research, and don't micromange them, they might draw from a wider variety of sources and not come up with the same answers as the mainstream *or* the alt media. But I think they do pretty well compared to the one-sided reporting that seems to emanate from *both* sides of every issue.

It IS a journalism & sociology program... not an activist training session.

I still thank them every day for pointing out as publicly as possible... In their 2000 & 2003 publications, that UBL was one of the people involved with the KLA/NLA, and by extention the CIA... Wesley Clark was technically UBL's superior as well. I suspect that's why he testified at the war crimes trial in secret and pulled out of the last presidential election.

Not bad for a buncha snot nosed homeroom rats, even if it's *all* untrue.

Leigh

http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2003/10.html

While the CIA admits that Osama bin Laden was an "intelligence asset" during the Cold War, the relationship is said to go way back. The fact that Al Qaeda continues to support KLA terrorist operations in Macedonia, with the full support of NATO and the US government, has been carefully overlooked. With the complicity of NATO and the US State Department. Mujahideen mercenaries from the Middle East and Central Asia were first recruited to fight in the ranks of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) in 1998-99, largely supporting NATO's war effort.

<...> The KLA-NLA terrorists are funded by US military aid, the United Nations peace-keeping budget, as well as by several Islamic organisations including Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda. Meanwhile, drug money is being used to finance the terrorists with the complicity of the US government. US military advisers mingle with Mujahideen within the same paramilitary force, Western mercenaries from NATO countries fight alongside Mujahideen recruited in the Middle East and Central Asia. <...>

The U.S. manipulation of the forces that drove the tense situation in the region began to surface in foreign papers (and remains conspicuously absent in the U.S. media to this day). The CIA, it was divulged, had trained the KLA well before the NATO bombing began. KLA commander Shaban Shala admitted to having first met American, British, and Swiss intelligence agents as early as 1996. When the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe left Kosovo the week before the airstrikes began, they left their satellite telephones and global positioning systems in the hands of the opposition forces. "Several KLA leaders had the mobile phone number of General Wesley Clark, the NATO commander," the Sunday Times reported. (See Censored 2000, Censored #22, "U.S. and Germany Trained and Developed the KLA.")

http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2000/10.html