[lbo-talk] New Al Qaeda plot to kill Musharraf foiled (compare and contrast)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 15:38:55 PDT 2005

It seems the Pakistani government is not speaking with one voice on this 'foiled plot' business. As I said before, the undoubted reality of Jihadis and their efforts against Musharraf notwithstanding, caution is always warranted when evaluating dramatic claims.

.d.

-------

Govt denies reports of new attempt on Musharraf

By Our Staff Reporter

ISLAMABAD, May 6: Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed on Friday dismissed as baseless reports circulated by some foreign news agencies that intelligence agencies had foiled a new attempt by terrorists to assassinate President Gen Pervez Musharraf. The minister said there was no truth whatsoever in the reports.

A senior official of an intelligence agency also denied the reports and said he was unaware of any new plot to assassinate the president. Quoting unnamed intelligence officials, a foreign news agency had filed a report earlier in the day saying that a new plot by Al Qaeda militants to assassinate President Musharraf had been foiled.

The reports said that Mushtaq Ahmed and Mohammad Arshad were found to be involved in the plot. Quoting a “top intelligence official”, one report said: “First we smashed the gang plotting a new attack on Mr Musharraf and then a week later we netted two Arabs, including Al Libbi.”

from Dawn at -- <http://www.dawn.com/2005/05/07/top8.htm >

--------

And let's revisit, for comparison purposes, the original Hindustan Times story:

HindustanTimes.com

Friday, May 6, 2005

Pakistan foils new Al-Qaeda plot to kill Musharraf

Agence France-Presse

Islamabad, May 6, 2005

Pakistani intelligence agents have foiled a new plot by Al-Qaeda militants to assassinate President Pervez Musharraf, security officials said.

Seven conspirators were arrested in a number of raids in central Punjab province in late April, one week before the capture of Al-Qaeda alleged number three Abu Faraj al-Libbi in a northwestern region, security officials said.

The group included Mushtaq Ahmed, a junior Air Force official who escaped from jail late last year after being sentenced to death for his involvement in a 2003 attempt to eliminate Musharraf, and who was recaptured last week.

"First we smashed the gang plotting a new attack on Musharraf and then a week later we netted two Arabs including al-Libbi," a top intelligence official said.

Officials said the Musharraf assassination plotters were headed by an Al-Qaeda militant named Mohammad Arshad...