[lbo-talk] New Al Qaeda plot to kill Musharraf foiled

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat May 14 17:03:19 PDT 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> But, as you know, it's usually the case that more than one thing >is true at a time. Musharaf is dealing with challenges from >Jihadis. That's true. It's also true that Islamabad has >established, like its sometimes hot, sometimes lukewarm patrons >in Washington, a habit of overstating, misstating and otherwise >onfusing the chain of causation.>

There is no way we can confirm whether there was a plot to kill Musharraf this time.But it's a plausible story. There have been two attempts to kill Musharraf in 2003. He narrowly survived both attempts to kill him. During 2004, there were attempts to kill Shaukat Aziz (who was then the Prime Minister designate) and Corp Commander of Karachi by suicide bombers. Both of them had a narrow escape.(Btw, General Zia also died in mysterious circumstances. Apparently there was an explosion on his aircaft. An act allegedly carried out disgruntled Shias officers in the Pak Air Force. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was hanged and Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif are in exile.)This, of course, doesn't prove that there was an attempt on Musharraf's life this time. But this would be the third attempt on Musharraf's life, if it's true. Why would his regime claim or admit an event if it wasn't true? This is particularly intriguing since these are plots by AQ supporters from within Pakistani Armed Forc es and Pakistan is nuclear weapon state.

Also see the news report "Al Qaeda planning attacks in Pakistan"

Ulhas

Daily Times

Monday, May 09, 2005

Al Qaeda planning attacks in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani intelligence agencies have uncovered Al Qaeda plans targeting President Musharraf, the US and other embassies and high commissions in Pakistan during May and June. Reports given to the Interior Ministry stated that Al Qaeda operatives were planning rocket and car bomb attacks against the president, western and Pakistani targets and other diplomatic missions in Islamabad and provincial capitals, sources told Daily Times. Al Qaeda had hired the services of three people to buy the rockets from the tribal areas, sources added. The reports said Al Qaeda was reportedly hiring people for suicide attacks against the president and western diplomats, sources said.

shahzad malik

Daily Times - All Rights Reserved