[lbo-talk] NYT gazes at navel, sees lint

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 11:10:29 PDT 2005

>From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net>
>>
>Talk about delusional. The fact the folks don't trust the papers doesn't
>mean the left has won anything. A retreat from official reason can proceed
>in any direction: left, right, or outright oblivion.

G. K. Chesterton put it best: "When a man stops believing in God he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything." (Full disclosure: GKC never said actually this, his most-quoted remark, but it was too good a line to pass up here <http://www.chesterton.org/qmeister2/any-everything.htm> -- how rare to have the Web clear up, instead of create, confusion about a quote. I recall someone once noting that GKC got it backward -- i.e., that someone who believed in God in the first place already showed a predisposition to believe anything :)

Carl