[lbo-talk] NYT gazes at navel, sees lint

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sun May 15 13:23:47 PDT 2005

On May 15, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> G. K. Chesterton put it best: "When a man stops believing in God
> he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything." (Full
> disclosure: GKC never said actually this, his most-quoted remark,
> but it was too good a line to pass up here <http://
> www.chesterton.org/qmeister2/any-everything.htm> -- how rare to
> have the Web clear up, instead of create, confusion about a quote.
> I recall someone once noting that GKC got it backward -- i.e., that
> someone who believed in God in the first place already showed a
> predisposition to believe anything :)

Was GKC referring to a particular god or just gods in general?

A month or so ago I suggested that a more compelling vision of god might be useful and I ended up being sympathetic to Chip's demur from discussion of religion.

I think that the definition of god as the unknown is just fine, and anyone that finds belief in unknowns difficult is godlike. GKC?

Martin