[lbo-talk] more class!

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 15 15:18:50 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Marx said the better a ruling class is able to incorporate the natural
> leaders of the oppressed class, the more solid & dangerous its rule.

Absolutely! The meritocracy funnels these natural leaders into serving the ruling class and the existence of a meritocracy reinforces the perception that the rich naturally rise and the poor naturally sink. There is upward mobility through certain doors: to the media, to education, to government. Once there, you had better tell the right story, or out you go.

I take the current series on "class" in the NYT to betray a certain nervousness. Haven't read enough to understand what the nervousness is about. From where I sit, it looks like they have it all sewn up.

Joanna