[lbo-talk] Two Words... Too late

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:01:31 PDT 2005

Not that there's anything here to show that the report is untrue, just unverified by the Pentagon, so NW backs off, an dats da truth:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/15/newsweek.quran/

May 15, 2005 Newsweek backs off Quran desecration story Account blamed for violent riots in Afghanistan CNN's Barbara Starr contributed to this report.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Newsweek magazine backed away Sunday from a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated copies of the Quran while questioning prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay naval base -- an account blamed for sparking violent riots in Afghanistan.

At least 15 people were killed and dozens injured last week when thousands of demonstrators marched in Afghanistan and other parts of the Muslim world, officials and eyewitnesses said.

The Pentagon said last week it was unable to corroborate any case in which interrogators at the U.S. Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, defiled the Muslim holy book, as Newsweek reported in its May 9 issue.

"Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we," Newsweek Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's May 23 issue, out Sunday.

"But we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst."

Pentagon spokesman Larry DiRita blamed Newsweek's report for the unrest in Muslim countries.

"People are dying. They are burning American flags. Our forces are in danger," he told CNN. <much snpped>

"If you read the al Qaeda training manual, they are trained to make allegations against the infidels," Army Col. Brad Blackner told Newsweek. =30=