[lbo-talk] Making beautiful stuff

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 18 08:09:54 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

>Because, those of us who do the production work know that none of
>that money is accruing to us, the people who actually make it. When
>you hear or read people focus on the money aspect, you're not giving
>anyone a chance to say anything else. It's automatically assumed
>that they are opposed to fashion, style, design, etc. And yet, the
>very people to whom you've made these accusations are, themselves,
>artists and craftsman. John T, for instance, is an artist/craftsman.

By the way, you're making exactly my point - I'm trying to separate the artifact from the pricetag. It's not me who's obsessing about the non-existent $3,000 cost. I'm all for rewarding the creators and not the brand.

By the way, I happen to know that the lead shoe designer for a very famous brand makes $175,000 a year, less than a quarter of what Anna Wintour makes!

Doug