[lbo-talk] Making beautiful stuff

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:58:56 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood:
> snitsnat wrote:
>
>> Because, those of us who do the production work know that none of
>> that money is accruing to us, the people who actually make it. When
>> you hear or read people focus on the money aspect, you're not giving
>> anyone a chance to say anything else. It's automatically assumed
>> that they are opposed to fashion, style, design, etc. And yet, the
>> very people to whom you've made these accusations are, themselves,
>> artists and craftsman. John T, for instance, is an artist/craftsman.
>

> By the way, you're making exactly my point - I'm trying to separate
> the artifact from the pricetag. It's not me who's obsessing about the
> non-existent $3,000 cost. I'm all for rewarding the creators and not
> the brand.

That's not what's happening. And perhaps... to have that happen we all need to stop covetting the price tag, which *is* much of the "kick" from buying a $500 dollar pair of shoes who's physical quality and ethsetic is essentially no better or worse than Buster Brown or Florsheims.

I sense "pretty little sweatshops" run by pretty little... nevermind.

> By the way, I happen to know that the lead shoe designer for a very
> famous brand makes $175,000 a year, less than a quarter of what Anna
> Wintour makes!

I'm supposed to feel empathic towards these people?

Leigh