[lbo-talk] Galloway to Senate: FOAD

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 09:41:41 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>And it seems you're not supposed to *repeat* these things if they have
>>been said. I have been impressed by the extent to which the US media have
>>quashed this story -- I've seen minimal coverage on TV and in print.
>>E.g., check Slate's "summary of what's in the major U.S. newspapers" today
>>-- not a word about Galloway's Senate testimony:
>><http://slate.msn.com/id/2119050/>
>
>There's a longish article in the NYT, but Judith Miller, of all people:
><http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/international/middleeast/18food.html>.

But no outlet is highlighting the topic. You have to use the NYT's site-search to find Judith Miller's article, in which I particularly liked this graf:

"A flamboyant orator and skilled debater, he [Galloway] also attacked United Nations sanctions against Iraq, the program, and, above all, the American-led war to topple Mr. Hussein. The administration, he said, had based its invasion of Iraq on a "pack of lies" and was now trying to justify its actions with charges regarding the oil-for-food program and other allegations, which he called "the mother of all smoke screens."

How cucumber-cool can you get! I think Judith Miller is professionally obligated to report her status as a fully vertically integrated news source and note that she herself played a lead role in concocting the "pack of lies" that Galloway cited. JM both fabricates the news and delivers it -- a paragon of efficiency in today's leaner, meaner press corps.

Carl