[lbo-talk] Stalinism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 12:35:24 PDT 2005

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote: CB:I think that was somebody else's point. I don't know from Russification
:>) . Well, again, without the use of patriotism, the
Nazis might not have been defeated. As I am sure you know, Chris, the Soviets and Former Soviets term it The Great Patriotic War.

--- Victory Day is the main state holiday. This year's was titanic. I was really touched by it. Technically the GPW is just 1941-1945; WWII is the whole thing.

----

There wasn't much room for giving up all means of defense, as the margin of victory was very small. Nazi troops were on the outskirts of Moscow , all that.

---

The tank traps are stll there. There's an IKEA next to them.

---

The evidence from the Asian republics is of much affirmative action by the Great White Russians, especially when we compare it to the records of other colonial-imperialist nations.

---

This is true. Russification weirdly coexisted with attempts to enliven local cultures. For instance, the Chukchi-language newspapers (the Chukchi being an indigenous Siberian people near Alaska who are the butt of many ethnic jokes) started up by the Soviets that are now shutting down due to lack of money. Chechen did not have an alphabet until the Soviets gave them one in the 1930s -- before that literate Chechens and Ingush (not that there were many) wrote in Arabic.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html