[lbo-talk] The gift that keeps on giving

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:41:23 PDT 2005

A few years ago, I read a piece in the newspaper about the death of a a Vietnamese public school teacher and a few of her pupils when a UXO went off in the school's playground.

I was commenting on this to one of the workers at the local coffee shop when the 50something in line behind me chimed in:

"Yeah, that's war... the gift that keep's on giving."

...and giving...

http://www.monitor.bbc.co.uk/nfnews.shtml#fifth

Three injured in land mine blast near Korean Demilitarized Zone

Text of report in English by South Korean news agency Yonhap

Cholwon, South Korea, 19 May: Three South Korean civilians were injured Thursday [19 May] in a land mine explosion near the heavily- fortified Demilitarized Zone, military officials said.

A 43-year-old man, identified only by his surname Lee, suffered a cut ankle from the explosion in Cholwon, while two others, only identified as Choi, 33, and Chang, 64, were hurt in their legs and waists, they added.

The wounded, who were among four civilian workers commissioned by a South Korean military unit to repair anti-armoured-vehicle obstacles, were picking wild greens during lunchtime when the accident occurred, according to investigators.

Source: Yonhap news agency, Seoul, in English 0956 gmt 19 May 05

=30=