[lbo-talk] The Air Force believes "we must establish and maintain space superiority, " Gen. Lance Lord, who leads the Air Force Space Command, told Congress recently.

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:54:13 PDT 2005

Chris Doss:

> Russia urges US to avoid space arms race
> By Demetri Sevastopulo in Washington
> Published: May 19 2005 03:00 | Last updated: May 19
> 2005 03:00
>
> Russia would consider using force if necessary to
> respond if the US put a combat weapon into space,
> according to a senior Russian official.
>
> http://news.ft.com/cms/s/3b1030dc-c804-11d9-9765-00000e2511c8,ft_acl=,s01=2.html
>
> Nu, zayats, pogodi!

I thought I had something in my files about the Russian version of FA/40 that I had gleaned from Ralph Davis's RMSMC list, but all I turned up is:

SpaceDaily:

SPACEWAR

US Could Shoot Down Euro GPS Satellites If Used By China In Wartime: Report London (AFP) Oct 24, 2004 http://www.spacedaily.com/news/milspace-04zc.html

The United States could attack Europe's planned network of global positioning satellites if it was used by a hostile power such as China, The Business weekly reported Sunday.

Galileo, a constellation of 30 satellites and ground stations due to go into operation in 2008, is being launched by the European Union and the European Space Agency to tap into a growing market of global satellite positioning.

China last month became a partner in the Galileo program, which could help provide services such as communications for the 2008 Beijing Olympics but also has applications for strategic military use.

According to a leaked US Air Force document written in August and obtained by The Business, Peter Teets, under-secretary of the US Air Force wrote: "What will we do 10 years from now when American lives are put at risk because an adversary chooses to leverage the global positioning system of perhaps the Galileo constellation to attack American forces with precision?"

The paper also reported a disagreement between EU and US officials this month over Galileo at a London conference which led to the threat to blow up the future satellites.

The European delegates reportedly said they would not turn off or jam signals from their satellites, even if they were used in a war with the United States.

A senior European delegate at the London conference said his US counterparts reacted to the EU position "calmly". [sociopathically? // lcm]

"They made it clear that they would attempt what they called reversible action, but, if necessary, they would use irreversible action," the official was quoted as saying.

Washington has long expressed doubts about Galileo, which could compete with its Global Positioning System (GPS), although the transatlantic feud was reportedly ended following an agreement signed in June.

US officials have voiced fears that the rival system, which has also brought on board Russia and Israel in addition to China, could compromise US and NATO military operations which rely on GPS for navigation and combatant location and might also interfere with a classified Pentagon positioning system known as M-Code. [...] http://www.spacedaily.com/news/milspace-04zc.html ===

Needless to say the Russians aren't slacking on their side of the "final frontier" Mil investments.

Leigh www.leighm.net