[lbo-talk] Kuwait grants women right to vote

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat May 21 09:13:33 PDT 2005

Daily Times

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Kuwait grants women right to vote

KUWAIT: Kuwait’s parliament passed a law on Monday granting women the right to vote and run in elections for the first time, after pressure from the pro-Western Gulf Arab state’s government.

“We made it. This is history,” prominent activist Roula al-Dashti told reporters. “Our target is the parliamentary polls in 2007. I’m starting my campaign from today.”

Outside parliament, young women and men danced and cheered, while passing drivers hooted horns in support. Parliament speaker Jassim al-Khorafi said the legislation had been passed by a majority of the all-male parliament. There were 35 in favour, 23 against and one abstention on a vote that had met fierce resistance from Islamists, conservative tribal MPs and others.

reuters

Daily Times