[lbo-talk] The STFU Left

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 16:20:59 PDT 2005

LM>...But I find him making fun of Palestinians, driven out of desperation into strapping a suicide belt on and walking up to IDF checkpoints within Palestine...

??? Having seen two new books on suicide bombers lately (one neo-con, the other academic left) I could expand, perhaps now, better later.

But, what my temper tantrum in that post was about, was not the teenage Palestinians driven to such, what I think nihilistic tactics with politically counter-productive results, but, the ultra-left (that you among others have made goood points against on marxmail lately) marginals in the movement that explicitly advocate supporting (how?) the more extreme sectors of the Iraqi Resistance, not in my view the home grown nationalists fighting a brutal Occupation by targetting US and Brit troops, that we all oppose, but the Islamists from outside Iraq in alliance with the Ba'athist opportunists, whose targets 90% of 'em, in mass numbers are Iraqi civilians.

Many, many folks on the Left with far more experience and decades than I on the Left, are saying the same thing. Cf. the comments of M. Junaid Alam of Left Hook slamming Barbara Ehrenreich at the Left Forum for criticizing the vicarious macho militarism and its recrudesence in this sector of the American Left. Oh, and Alam, saying Ehrenreich was racist for criticizing Arabs killing 70,000 Blacks in Darfur. -- Michael Pugliese