[lbo-talk] The STFU left (Carrol's queries)

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 16:53:57 PDT 2005

Ian answered one of 'em. 1. Where is this commentary by Alterman on the Lazare Letter, and what the hell is that letter?

The latter first. In the letters to the editor of the latest issue of The Nation to arrive in my (and I guess not yours) mailbox.The cover article is on the Focus on the Family creepy rapist.

http://www.thenation.com/issue.mhtml?i=20050530 Death Camp or Gulag...? Tom Reiss & Daniel Lazare.

3. Who are Kevin Coogan and Clare Spark?

Kevin Coogan, wrote occasional book reviews for Z in the early 90's. Wrote a huge, couldn't put it down biography of neo-fascist intellectual Francis Parker Yockey for Autonomedia.

Clare Spark, another of my e-mail friends, was a "marxist-feminist" radio producer and host on Pacifica Radio station in L.A., KPFK in the 80's and part of the 90's. (Close friend still of Susan Weissman of Against The Current/Solidarity, though Clare is now on the center-right. Weissman, btw, is still friends with Schwartz, who helped her on her biography of libertarian marxist, Victor Serge. Clare has a huge book on Melville and Communist literary critics of the 30's.

4. Who is Tim Ward, and why is he of any importance to anyone?

Tom Ward. A mutual friend of Doug and I. Very smart, wickedly funny anarchist way into the Situationist International...and alcohol alas. A former writer for the Village Voice on music and politics.Got into a tangle with another, famous music critic for the VV leading to his firing. Struggling in SF with odd jobs and cockroach ridden hotels full of ex-cons who open beer bottles with large knives.

---

The following are more matter of interpretation, but I think of some interest.

5. Would Solidarity or CoC be included in his list of marxist sects?

No. I know good folks in CofC/CCDS, ex-CPUSA, who are good, kind and funny. Solidarity, mostly East Bay Ca. folks I know too I like.

Sects? Well, I'll give 'ya a list later. The usual suspects.

6. Why does he assume the "Old, OLD left apologia shtick" is of current interest, in what does it consist, and why is it wrong?

I'll type up something, medium to longish later. BIG subject as is #7. My points are driven by thousands of hrs. reading back issues of left periodicals from the 30's onwards.

7. What is MP's understanding of "pwoggie illusions"?

Carrol -- Michael Pugliese