[lbo-talk] Expediency

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun May 22 14:47:37 PDT 2005

Doug wrote:

> See this is my problem. There are enougn problems today that I don't
> see any reason to bring up the Rosenbergs or the 1930s show trials or
> any of that.

The problems of the past are also the problems of the present and will be the problems of the future, unless we manage to solve them. But in the case of Galloway, at least, the facts should be so clear that we needn't even look to precedent. His politics are transparently contemptible (and his ethics may well not be much better). Acknowledging such plain facts forthrightly and without reservation isn't contrary to expediency; rather, doing so is actually an essential means to persuading those who need persuading.

-- Luke