[lbo-talk] RE: Vegetarians become part of the problem

Ric Mallamo riccardo at pivot.net
Sun May 22 14:44:54 PDT 2005

Leigh,

To leap from a legitimate story about the destruction of the Amazon Rain Forest -- this time to raise soybeans -- to a charge that catering to soy-eating/drinking vegetarians is the reason, is about as reasonable as charging Saddam Hussein with 9/11 because he is an Arab.

It's pretty hard to avoid soy these days, because it is used in processing a myriad of foods. It's cheap (thanks to both subsidization and now imports from poorer countries), and it can be used for everything from cooking oil to emulsifiers to making a type of plastic (Henry Ford experimented with it -- unsuccessfully -- for use in body parts). Soy burgers and soy milk are a drop in the bucket of the uses made of soy products by our vast food processing industry.

Consider, too, that many non-vegetarians are lactose intolerant and cannot drink cow's milk. So they drink soy milk instead.

Finally, those effete, soy-latte sipping vegetarians you scorn are more than likely as interested in foods being local, organic, and healthy. Highly processed soy products are usually none of these. In fact, the health concerns around processed soy are seeing a nationwide decline in the sales of soy products in natural food stores -- the kind of places vegetarians usually shop. And they certainly wouldn't be consciously using a product that is destroying the rain forest. Word-of-mouth and positive/negative buzz moves quickly in that tight community. The bulk of soy is, as mentioned, tucked quietly into all manner of food products from the major, transnational food companies, which are consumed by nearly everyone who shops at the local supermarket.

I think you need to look at the bigger picture and who the consumers of all that soy really are. Soy is HUGE business (one of the top three crops in the US), much bigger than the meager handful of vegetarians in the US. Alas, we're ALL part of the problem.

Ric