[lbo-talk] Anti-C v. anti-c

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Sun May 22 18:38:37 PDT 2005

Of course, the obvious defence against charges of anti-communism is to claim that one is simply anti-Communist. However, to be anti-Communist without being anti-communist requires a highly developed sensitivity to nuance and innuendo and a scrupulous avoidance of them. That is, if one is clumsily anti-Communist, one becomes objectively anti-communist and often objectively anti-left. In a climate of general denunciation, anyone who doesn't join in is implicated as a dupe, fellow-traveler, etc...

Disclosure: Not only am I not a Communist. I am not even a communist. "Communism" was a spectre that haunted Europe in the middle of the 19th century and I don't believe in ghosts. According to the Communist Manifesto, it was the reactionaries who first conjured up that apparition.

The Sandwichman (aka Mr. Interlocuter)